Saturday, February 24, 2007

Joe Barry, my brother in Sloyd asked in response to today's post whether I'd heard of Ninja Finger Weaving. I guess I'd seen it in the martial arts movies, but didn't understand what it was. The site Ninjaa.com explains it. Interestingly, the purpose isn't really to do magic, but to still and focus the mind...again illustrating the hand/mind inter-relationship that we overlook in education. The image above is from ninjaa.com and illustrates the weaving of fingers in the pattern "toh" to establish mental and emotional harmony with the universe. Personally, I prefer the kind of weaving that leaves baskets and cloth behind...objects made in reflection of our harmony with the universe that can be understood and used by others without pretense or mystique.

No comments:

Post a Comment