Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I am busy with school and getting ready to go to New York on Friday for Woodworkers Showcase. I managed to amend my application for the Fulbright this morning, but know that academic bias is strong. At some point hands-on common sense will prevail, but maybe not yet. The image above was sent by reader, Joe Barry in response to my mention yesterday about children no longer being able to tie shoes. Joe says of the "turquoise turtle knot": This is a knot I often teach my patients. It's from Brion Toss's The Rigging Handbook."

I will look for that book. Have you noticed that when a book conveys particularly useful information and expertise, it is called a "handbook?" I like that!

Today, the 5th and 6th grade students worked on Sloyd letter openers and the 11th and 12 grade students made religious symbols from wood for their class in comparative religions. It wood club this afternoon, I had three boys turning tops, a girl carving a spoon and another boy finishing a cane he started last year. It is great to see kids just doing it because it is fun. No credit, no grade, just fun. Some of my readers may know the feeling quite well.

The photo below is of one of Luke's tops.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:25 AM

    "Execrable granny knot." I like that.
    And good for the kids! They're discovering how much it is to just work in the shop without a deadline or a project that will be graded.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete