Monday, December 08, 2008

shopping

Today I went to the Grizzly store in Springfield, MO to look at a table saw and other end of year purchases to improve my wood shop efficiency. It is amazing what money can buy thanks to Taiwanese production and the low cost of overseas labor. I need to spend just a bit of money at the end of the year to reduce my tax burden and take advantage of government tax incentives.

That will also mean that in the coming days, I will sell off some old equipment to make room for new.

If I were a parent of a young child, I would also be shopping for tools. Wouldn't it be better to share Christmas morning making things with a son or daughter (or grandchild) than to open packages of things where all the imagining has been completed by designers and no making is required?

Today on the news, I heard that a musician is proposing a music corp through which our nation's musicians will return music to schools. We also need a "craft core" to put our children's hands back in service of their imaginations.

If the 3 degrees of separation principle holds true, I suspect that I am just one or two connections from the incoming administration. You, gentle reader and wise friend might be that connection. Help me to reshape education in America to express the wisdom of our hands.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:06 PM

    Wow. Miss a few days of the blog and all sorts of stuff gets past me. This post reminded me of the time I was part of something called "Young Audiences" when a friend and I would play folks music in grade schools. Don't remember who funded it, but it was a great time.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete