Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Boats, solar systems and what we spend our money on.

This morning the first and second grade students made boats for an imaginary journey to Australia, their next subject for study. They will plan their journeys on a map and the boats are the first part of that. More will come later. The 3rd and 4th grade students continued making their models of the solar system, and those who completed theirs began projects from Paper Sloyd.

Last night I went to a bonfire at a friend's house and a fellow guest mentioned that the eight years of Bush Presidency proved that government spending did not stimulate the economy. I chose not to argue at a social engagement, but here in the blog, I can say what I want and you are welcome to respond. While the eight years of Bush presidency I regard as a national catastrophe, the subject of government spending should include the discussion of what we are spending money on. For instance, with the money I am spending on my daughter's education I could afford to buy lots of things that would all be consumed in a set number of reckless and bizarre days of foolish glory. I could list all the possible foolish and dumb ideas, but as a practical man, my mind can hardly go there.

Starting an unnecessary war is a lot like getting drunk and spending all your money on fireworks and watching them all go up in a single whooof. Start one and your nation may end up scorched and scarred for life. So there is a clear difference between spending on blazing idiocy and investing in the lives of our children. This is not a difficult concept to get your hands on. If you disagree, please feel free to use the comments function of this post. Republicans are crying foul and are clearly more interested in the failure of the Obama stimulus plan than in its success and the success of our nation. I hope people are wise enough to see the difference between spending for dumb-assed things and spending on investments that make us better and stronger as a nation.

My barred owl was hooting outside, and sat for a time on his favorite branch, but he flew away before I could get my camera in place. But perhaps I'll get a chance later or another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment