Friday, February 27, 2009

Friendly competition

This afternoon, I have been once again competing with the Chinese, but it is a friendly competition. Those of us who make rather than merely consume are brothers and sisters in hand, beauty and creativity.

I have been worried about the global economy, but when I am busy making things, my heart is at rest. I work unconcerned.

My uncle Ron used to visit, and he would ask, "Are you making anything big?" "No." I would reply. "Just more boxes." (thousands of them over time.) Making boxes has been my therapy, solace and strategy for hard times. When I had gone months without furniture commissions to work on, I applied myself in making boxes. The inventory might build for a time, and then the dam would burst. The orders would come, and the time some might have thought I was wasting enabled me to survive as a craftsman and maker of larger things.

You can find a few of my boxes on Etsy. Visit, order from my shop. You too can be one who proves the value of great faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment