Monday, February 09, 2009

two shoes

Toshio Odate tells the story of two shoes in this month's Woodwork Magazine. His story describes the very subtle difference between art and craft and challenges craftsmen to regain the moral high ground that has been their tradition. He talks about his pride in his family heritage. His father was a Shokunin, a craftsman, and he still holds to that pride. He says,
Too often I have heard craftsmen say, "Trustworthy, beautiful materials and work are useless when customers do not understand or appreciate them. And they won't pay!"
It is their excuse for poor and inattentive craftsmanship. But he states further,
I understand their dilemma, but these craftsmen do not know that their social responsibility and obligation is 100% of social service. We have to provide our best to society, with sincerity. We must build on a strong, true foundation and morality. Perhaps then we will regain social trust and respect.
Interestingly, as long as we attribute a situation to others, blaming them for what is, we overlook our own power to bring change. But when we say, "I can change that!" We have begun the process, accepting our own power and will.

I built my business as a craftsman by attempting to give each customer more than they expect. When the deal is struck and we agree on design, material and price, from that point on, I am no longer working for the customer but for myself, attempting to fulfill the highest standards I am able in the circumstances. Some would say that I am unreasonable. I would argue that doing less than my best would be to sell myself short through decision I might resent my whole life. After all, a thing made of wood can last for generations. Look for this month's Woodwork. If you are interested in craftsmanship you will enjoy Odate's story of two shoes.
Walter Hart sent a photo of a pen box he made from plans of one I made for Woodcraft Magazine. He says there are mistakes and he learned a lot. I don't see the mistakes, but knowing how hard this box is to make, I do know he learned a lot. Beautiful work.

1 comment: