Friday, July 31, 2009

mortise and tenon joints

The photos above and below show two sides of the same set of joints used to secure the parts of a "torii table". The table itself is an exercise in the use of mortise and tenon joints. I still have one more round of sanding to do, and will pay particular attention to all the routed edges. By looking closely at the photos you may notice the way edges where parts intersect are shaped in relation to each other. Attention to details is the means through which the maker expresses his vision and his character. As I mentioned earlier, these tables are an opportunity to revisit one of my earlier designs. At the time, I had this sense that by exploring woodworking joints, I had my best potential for growth as a craftsman, and that joints themselves were far too interesting to be hidden from view.

No comments:

Post a Comment