Sunday, March 13, 2011

making a dovetail marking template

I am planning to have my students do a unit in box making, so I am preparing the tools needed. The first thing is a simple jig for marking out dovetail pins as shown in the drawing above. The steps in making this are shown in the series of photos below.
Tilt the sawblade to 8 degrees and cut the dovetail shape.

Return the blade to 90 degrees and remove the stock between the angled cuts
Make a cut with the blade height set at 3/8 in.

Set the fence 1/8 in. from the blade and rip to finish forming the template.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:06 AM

    Ingenious!

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mario, thanks. I am sort of impressed with it myself. It replaces two tools that are sort of expensive and require explanation. By making them out of Baltic birch plywood, they are light weight, unbreakable, and if they get damaged by student use, I can throw them away and make new. Making 8 of them took about 15-20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:52 AM

    I do like my old angle gauge, but it doesn't have to be shared among a bunch of students. Maybe it's time to bring out the gauge, saw and chisels and make dovetails.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete