Wednesday, April 17, 2013

in the thick of it...

I've been in the thick of things. As I've told readers in earlier posts, Swepco, a wholesale and retail supplier of electricity informed us on April Fools Day, 2013 that they've planned an alternate 690 kV line for electric distribution to scissor our land into two parts with a 150 foot wide clear cut that would remove the trees from within 75 feet of our deck. I've been reading through legal documents on the Arkansas Public Service Commission website that were filed by attorneys and engineers working on the project. We have less than 30 days to raise objections to the plan, and those objections can only be filed through an attorney. Without having either deep pockets or friends with whom to gather as a political force, we would be powerless. And many experts have told us that our own cause, that of protecting the natural beauty and the quality of our own lives is without hope.

All this legal stuff makes me so grateful for my own life. Years ago, my friend Jorgy had told me, " I don't know why you would study to be a lawyer, when your brains are so clearly in your hands." And that statement was the dime upon which my life turned. I began to understand the joy that I found in my own creativity. In time, I began to better understand the relationship between the hands and brain in learning. Ultimately, I began to understand that I was not special or unique. The hand/brain relationship was a thing we all share. We learn best, most enthusiastically, and to greatest lasting effect when we learn hands-on. And my own life is so rich and full because I had taken a good friend's advice. On the other hand, I am discovering too, that I could have made a good lawyer, if I had cases like this one, of the heart, to work on where corporate interests were attempting to destroy natural woodlands and mess with people's lives and property.
Coming Saturday, April 20, 2013 .....The Annual Clear Spring Fling Auction is a Live and Silent Auction. The event features Local, National, and Internatonal Artists. We are featuring 'Local Artists from the Past' such as Elsie Freund! The work will include original paintings, multi-media art, hand-crafted furniture, giclee` prints, jewelry and much more. Additional items to bid on will showcase Getaway and Bed & Breakfast Packages. Bidding continues with gift certificates for Restaurants, Personal Training and many other great services. There is always something special for everyone to bid on to take home! Come on out for an enjoyable exciting evening while savoring our professionally created hors d'oeuvres and wine provided by Keels Creek! Keels Creek Winery is proud to be debuting their first single grape estate wine!

The Annual Clear Spring Fling Auction hosted by Clear Spring School (PrePrimary-12) is to be held at the Keels Creek Winery (behind the tasting room and art gallery on Saturday, April 20, 2013 starting at 5:30 PM.
I will have two items for sale in this year's fund raising event. Offered in silent auction, will be one of the boxes created in the process of writing my current book. In live auction will be a bench featured in my book Rustic Furniture Basics. All proceeds will go to the Clear Spring School where engagement of the hands is a primary focus in the education of our kids.

What are folks in Sweden reading today? Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Make, fix and create...

3 comments:

  1. Doug, I have come to understand that our elected officials by and large do NOT have the best interests of their constituents at the top of their priority lists. We here in NC are fighting a proposal to add ferry toll fees to routes that are simply extensions of state highways, highways that our citizens regularly use to get to their place of employment across the river. The fact that Eureka Springs officials have been talking and negotiation about this without public input is nothing but tragic. I know it causes you probably to feel helpless, but there have to be those attorneys who are willing to take on this fight pro bono (frankly, the notion that an objection to such a plan must be filed through an attorney is questionable at best.) I wish you the very best in this fight. Do not give up... it is too important for you you and your neighbors and your wonderful environment...My thoughts are surely with you. Do keep us posted on the blog, as I'm sure you will.

    JD

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD, Thanks for your good wishes. The route that crosses our land is unlikely to be chosen as final, but my wife and I cannot help but become engaged in the defense of our neighbors and friends... and our community.

    I will keep you posted.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those of you who are against this destruction of your land's beauty will no doubt be described as opposing progress. How sad.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete