Monday, November 18, 2013

the doing of difficult and complex things...

Checking work on installation of hinges
Doing difficult and complex things add more to the sense of self, than to do only those things which take little or no effort. As I flew home yesterday, a two year old in the seat ahead and to my right was busy on her mother's iPhone. It was amazing how adept she was at scrolling through folders to find the activity she sought. The technology is designed to make it as easy as possible for even the least among us, and if our aspiration is that all things be made that easy for us, our technological revolution is an amazing success. The phone kept her busy until the noise and change in air pressure led her to demand the comfort of her mother's arms.

Lift tab shaped and fitted by hand
There is a difference between the digital world and the one that offers real satisfaction, growth, and the rewards of physical accomplishment.

The photos are from the weekend class in Albany. Evidently, I was lucky on my timing of return. A friend on a later flight home from Albany was held at the airport by very serious weather in the Mid-West.

Make, fix and create...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:20 AM

    Thanks! I needed to hear this today.

    I'm stuck in the middle of a soup-to-nuts bathroom replacement in my 100 year old house. Nearly all this type of work is new to me and opening up the walls and floor was a total shit show.

    ReplyDelete