Friday, August 08, 2014

being home...

Like my students I have arrived home with projects to be finished.  Several of my box making students were concerned as to how the base for this box would turn out. I hope it's satisfactory. When experimenting with design, it's a form of play rather than a form of certainty. We learn what works by doing. In this case, making small "L" shaped pieces of wood, mitered at the corners and simply glued to the base makes technical sense. All the grain direction in this case is parallel, so the attachment of the feet requires nothing more than a bead of glue. But are they the right shape? That's an experiment for you to decide the outcome.

This box is not complete, as I still need to add a lift tab to the lid and apply Danish oil.

I have been measuring the foot print of various tools, cabinets and workbenches in the Clear Spring School wood shop and have been laying out a design for how things will fit in my temporary wood shop.

Make, fix and create...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:02 PM

    It's different but I like it . Looks elegant.

    Hope you are getting some beefy upper grade boys to help with the tool move. I don't know about you but I'm too old to think about moving SawStops and lathes.

    Had a great time at MASW last week. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us.

    Dave K
    Valparaiso, IN

    ReplyDelete