Thursday, February 09, 2017

on schedule, on budget...

The new wood shop at the Eureka Springs School of the Arts is on schedule and on budget, and I marvel at how some contractors and construction workers are able to gather such a large project into such a manageable view that they can pull such things off.  Experience in the real world helps.

I plan to visit the site later in the day, and with the roof deck boards in place, I'll be able to get a sense of how the building will look as equipment is moved into place. Then, in order to complete the installation of wiring, I'll have to describe where each major tool will fit, and what its power requirements are.

I was awake part of the night knowing that the process of acquiring equipment and finalizing workbench designs must begin soon, and that's a part of the process in which I am required to take the lead.

Yesterday in the Clear Spring School wood shop, my students did some lovely work. One, in 6th grade, finished a nice box for her teacher. In designing the lid, I asked her whether it should be symmetrical or asymmetrical. You can see her choice. The wood burning was her first attempt, so she practiced first.

Make, fix, create, and increase the opportunities for all children to learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment