Sunday, February 19, 2017

testing infinity (system)

Infinity is a long way off. But the infinity dovetail spline system is easy to use. I began my testing of it today by adding dovetail keys to a box.

I used a 8 degree dovetail bit to rout the spaces for the keys to fit, then after installing walnut keys, I used a smaller bit to rout the space for contrasting cherry dovetail shaped keys.

Testing this system was suggested by my assistant in my box making class at Marc Adams School of Woodworking. I arranged with editors at Fine Woodworking magazine to do a review, and this box, when complete, will be sent to them for photography, unless I choose to do another like it.

It would have been easy to understand how the jig operates, but it makes more sense and provides greater truth for me to test it in my own hands. My own credibility as a woodworker is placed on the line. If I do not test it in my own hands how will readers trust what I say about it?

The same is true in the political arena as well. We live in an awkward time in which people choose to believe one way or another without considering actual evidence. That is a dangerous state of affairs. We have been conditioned for it by having religions in which membership is based on faith in the unseen and unknowable. So a willingness to keep coming back to the hands, to test things in real life and form opinions based on actual evidence and not on what you have been told and expected to believe is crucial to the preservation of democracy.

Make, fix, create, and increase the likelihood that others learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment